How to update the Firmware of the Netgear router manually
- Open any internet browser on the device that is connected to the Netgear router via an Ethernet cable.
- Go to the NETGEAR Download Center and download the latest firmware of your router. Make sure that you type in the model number of the router correct. Download and save the file to the desired location.
- Now, open up another internet browser and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. You will be prompted to type in the default username and password for your router.
- The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and password are case sensitive.
- Select Administration under the ADVANCED tab.
- Click the Router Update or Firmware Update button. It might vary for different router models.
- Click Choose File or Browse option to locate the previously downloaded file.
- Click Open. Now, click on Update.
Do not interrupt the upgrade process anyhow as it may corrupt the router and render it useless. Once the upgrade is finished, the router will reboot itself. Wait for the router to reboot. After the router has finished rebooting, you can start using the internet.
Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) answered regarding the Netgear router:
- How do I log in to the Netgear router?
You can login to the Netgear routers using the web domain www.routerlogin.net. You can type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and press enter. You will then be directed to the login page where you can enter the default information regarding the router.
- What is www.routerlogin.net?
The web domain www.routerlogin.net is the web domain name that is used to login to the Netgear routers. It is recognized by the router and automatically translated to the default IP address of the router.
- What is the default IP address for my Netgear router?
The default IP address for most of the Netgear routers is 192.168.1.1.
- How can I block inappropriate content on my network?
You can block any inappropriate content on your network using the advanced Parental Control feature.
- What should I do if I forgot my router’s password?
You can opt to reset your router to restore it back to its default factory settings. After that, using www.routerlogin.net you can login again to the Netgear router.
- Is it safe to download the Netgear firmware updates from any third party websites? No, it is not safe to download the Netgear firmware form any third party websites.
- What should be the color of the power light on my router?
The color of the power light on your router should be either green or white for the newer models.
- Can I leave my router on all the time?
Yes, you can choose to leave your router on for as long as you like.
- How do I Reset my Netgear router?
You can reset your Netgear router by pressing and holding the reset button at the back of the router for about ten seconds.
- How do I log in to the Netgear router?
Netgear genie lets you manage and troubleshoot your network settings easily through the easy user-friendly interface. The Netgear Genie application is compatible with Windows 10, previous versions of windows. You can download the Netgear Genie application for your Android device from google play store. In case of iPad or iPhone, you can download Netgear genie application from play store.
NETGEAR GENIE FEATURES :
Network Map: You can check the number of devices connected to your router using the network map feature. Check the IP address of connected devices or attached devices with your network (Netgear router ). You can turn on or turn off access control feature of your Netgear router, add or block devices to your network
Wifi Connection: You can check internet connectivity as well as your wireless router SSID and WiFi passphrase. The user can change channel settings also using Netgear Genie Application.
Parental Control: You can activate the parental control feature on your router. Create parental control account >> add or remove keywords according to your requirement and you can set up time limit also
NETGEAR GENIE FOR WINDOWS 10 :
Netgear Genie is compatible with Windows 10 platform. If you have updated your windows from windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 then uninstall the previous version of Netgear genie >> restart your computer >> then download Netgear Genie application for windows 10 from Netgear support center webpage. Alternatively, you can run the Netgear Genie application in advanced mode by selecting run as previous version option.
Alternatively, you can check Netgear router login interface using web address http://routerlogin.net or http://routerlogin.com or you can use IP address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.